The Ngāi Tahu - ‘people of Tahu’ - are the Māori people of the southern islands of New Zealand, also known as Te Waipounamu or the ‘greenstone isle’.
Today some 54,000 Māori can trace their genealogy back to their ancestor Tahu Pōtiki, making up the Ngāi Tahu tribe which is New Zealand’s third largest Māori iwi or tribal group.
Ngāi Tahu is also a New Zealand tourism powerhouse - a family business operating nine iconic tourism businesses, employing 350 staff over the peak summer season and hosting one million guests annually.
Profits from commercial activities go back into the tribe to support cultural, educational and social initiatives.
Great NZ outdoors
The great New Zealand outdoors - landscape, nature and environment - is a common thread in the company’s tourism activities, along with transmission of their Māori heritage and core values of manaakitanga (hospitality) and kaitiakitanga (guardianship of the natural world).
Ngāi Tahu Tourism portfolio includes some of New Zealand’s most popular activities in both the North and South Islands:
- Rotorua: Rainbow Springs Kiwi Wildlife Park - New Zealand’s leading kiwi hatchery and conservation experience
- Rotorua: Agrodome - New Zealand’s most famous farm show and agricultural experience
- Taupō: Huka Falls Jet - a thrilling jet boat ride across the mighty Waikato River and into the mists of thundering Huka Falls
- Queenstown: Shotover Jet - has taken more than 3 million tourists on the thrilling white water jet boat ride down the rugged Shotover River since 1970
- Queenstown: Dart River Jet - a true wilderness experience and journey of discovery deep into Mt Aspiring National Park and Te Waipounamu World Heritage Area
- West Coast: Franz Josef Glacier Guides - small group tours across the spectacular glacial landscape of Franz Josef Glacier
- West Coast: Glacier Hotpools - outdoor hot pools and spa facility beneath a rain forest
- Fiordland: Hollyford Track Guided Walk - a three-day premium guided walking experience through a primeval forest valley and ending in a remote fiord
Shotover Jet - riding New Zealand’s red jets
Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Rainbow Springs Kiwi Wildlife Park