About Explore Pass
Tourism New Zealand offers a discount pass to help international media discover and profile New Zealand as a travel destination.
The Explore New Zealand Media Pass is open to print, online and broadcast media who have an approved international commission and audience reach that meets Tourism New Zealand requirements for each market. Bloggers with a significant international following (minimum 40,000 UMV) can also apply.
The Explore New Zealand Media Pass offers discounts for:
- a wide range of accommodation
- tourism activities in all regions.
To complete an online application, you will need:
- written confirmation of your commission
- a business card.
Application for Explore New Zealand Media Pass
Note: Frontline travel sellers can apply for the Explore New Zealand Pass but must use a different application process.
Application for Explore New Zealand Pass for Travel Sellers
IMPORTANT: Application Criteria
Tourism New Zealand’s marketing activities are focused on around 30 countries - accreditation is limited to these markets.
- Applications will only be considered within six months of proposed travel and no less than three weeks before departure.
- Apply when you have confirmed international flights booked as accreditation is for the dates of travel within New Zealand.
- Explore Pass is valid for up to 30 days.
- Media must normally be resident outside New Zealand.
- One Explore Pass is issued for two people travelling together eg a journalist and photographer, or a couple.
- One Explore Pass is issued per film crew.
- Applicants will be required to submit a proposal related to their trip, including a commitment to publish or broadcast within three months of departing New Zealand.
- Applicants will be eligible to reapply for any subsequent visits to New Zealand.
More about the process
Allow a minimum of three weeks for processing of the application. This allows time to check your publishing agreement with your editor or manager.
Once approved, you will receive an acceptance email with a unique ID number and an online link to the offers. Please note that these details will only be available to you for a short time after departure from New Zealand.
If you are already close to your departure date, you should contact the nearest Tourism New Zealand office.
Tourism New Zealand reserves the right to make the final decision with all Explore New Zealand Pass applications.